Located at 15 Boyd Place, Colombo 3, Sri Lanka, Bishop's College dates its beginnings to 1875, when it was established at Fairfield House in Darley Road, under the name - Bishopsgate School.

In 1887, three Sisters from St Margaret's Convent in East Grinstead, England came out to Ceylon on missionary work. After a short location at Greenpath, they established their Convent at Polwatta, Colpetty. One of them, Sister Joanna Mary, was asked to help in the running of the school and Sister Angela was the first Sister to be Principal of Bishopsgate School.

In 1890, then Bishop of Colombo, Bishop R. S. Copleston, purchased the Maradatin Cinnamon Gardens bordering on Boyd Place, Colpetty. The school moved from Darley Road to these premises in 1892, and was renamed Bishop's College.

For an unbroken period of sixty years from 1895-1955 the Sisters of St Margaret's Convent guided the students of Bishop's College: not only in their mental development, but in the levels of charity, community spirit and public service, and upholding of the school motto "Non Sibi Sed Omnibus" (Not for Self, but for All).

At present it is a fee-levying private school, with over 2000 students at all grades from Kindergarten to GCE A/L.

AGM May 2012
Summer Ball june 2012, All are welcome.
Festival of Cricket July 2012.

We celebrate 23 years in the UK.

PPA UK donated LKR 1 Million to the Old Hall Renovation Project.

Congratulations to the new Principal
Ms Shamila Gunatilake.

Frances Don passed away in January 2012 at the age of 90. She was the eldest member of the Association.

BC PPA Colombo
BC PPA Australia


Hon. President : Indrani Wijekoon
Hon.Secretary: Vajira Wignarajah
Hon.Treasurer : Kanchana Kumarasinghe

More >>

Click to view our flyer for 25th anniversary lunch    
Infomart IT Solutions Ltd - 0800 1076073 - www.infomart.co.uk Latest newsletter download